Sunday, 18 October 2009

Fairy Cakes {Nigella Lawson}

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter, softened I use flora no salt 
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs definitely organic free-range 
125g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract extract not essence
2-3 tbsp milk
500g packet instant royal icing I just used whatever icing was in the cupboard 
12 bun muffin tin lined with 12 muffin papers
I actually used fairy cake tin and papers which are much smaller

Preheat oven to 200ºC/gas mark 6

Basically, throw all the ingredients into a bowl, except for the milk and mix together with a hand held mixer ( this is how I do it). Then add the milk a little at a time until you get a smooth mix with a dropping consistancy.

Spoon into each case, about half fill (the mix will rise when baked).
Bake for about 15-20 mins until slightly golden on top.

Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

When totally cool make up icing to a thick consistancy so it is not too runny. I add the colour with a cocktail stick to create a pastel shade, it always amazes me how little you actually need.
Spoon icing on top and decorate with sweets or sugar swirls or whatever.

Scoff with a really nice cup of tea.

Alternatives

My mum used to make fruity fairy cakes by adding raisins or sultanas and omitting the icing or any decoration. they somehow felt healthy!! They look a little boring but taste lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment